- For high-performance transmission of messages via point-to-point connections (high message rate)
- Physical interface: RS 422/RS 485 (X.27)
- Up to 32 nodes
- Protocol implemented: ASCII, 3964 (R)
- Simple parameterization via a parameterization tool integrated into STEP 7
The CP 440 communications processor is used for high-performance transmission of short message frames via RS 422/RS 485 (X27). This is the preferred method for implementing point-to-point connections.
Point-to-point connection is possible, for instance, for:
- SIMATIC S7, SIMATIC S5 programmable logic controllers and third-party controllers
- Programming devices and PCs
- Robot controls
- Scanners, barcode readers
- Measuring systems
The RS 485 interface supports links to up to 32 partners.
The communications processors have the following mechanical features:
- Rugged plastic housing
For 'Send', 'Receive” and ”Error”.
The CP 440 can also be used in expansion racks. However, transmission of the C bus signals must be ensured. A table with possible applications can be found under 'Technical specifications'.
A number of standard protocols are implemented and allow data exchange with a wide variety of nodes:
For connection to third-party systems with simple communication protocols, such as protocols with start and end characters or protocols with block-check characters. The interface's handshake signals can be scanned and controlled via the user program.
- 3964 (R):
For connection to Siemens devices or third-party devices by means of the standardized and published Siemens 3964 (R) protocol. Also implemented are a 3964(R) driver with default values and a programmable 3964(R) driver.
Parameterization of the CP 440 communications processor is particularly convenient and simple:
- The user specifies module characteristics via a parameter assignment tool integrated in STEP 7, such as:
- Which implemented protocol driver is to be used, or
- Which driver-specific features are to be utilized
- Parameterization via CPU:
Simply connect the programming device to the CPU. The configuration data is filed in a system data block that is saved in the CPU. When a module is replaced, the new module is thus immediately ready for operation.
- Configuring package (on CD-ROM):
With electronic manual, parameterization screen forms and standard function block for communication with the CP
CP 440-1, PTP-CONNECTIONS, 1 CHANNEL
Rated value (DC)
from backplane bus 5 V DC, max.
Power loss, typ.
Memory requirements per interface in memory card of S7-CPU
1 to 5 Kbytes for parameters
Number of interfaces
Interface (physical) RS 422/485 (X.27)
RS 422/RS 485, cable length shielded, max.
1 200 m
Integrated protocol driver
Transmission rate, RS 422/485
Yes, own parameter assignment forms